OVERVIEW OF JOB START PLUS
Job Start Plus connects young people from 16 to 24 years with businesses and third sector organizations partnering with the Ministry of Labour, Social Security and Third Sector, to offer job placements. These job placements offer those with little to no work experience, the opportunity to gain meaningful experience in the world of work. Young persons also participate in a World of Work (WOW) training programme, undergo career planning and benefit from other support to become more competitive in the job market.
If you are a young person who is interested in participating in Job Start Plus, please click the link below to access a Job Start Plus registration form.
REGISTER HERE TO BECOME A PART OF JOB START PLUS
Option 1: (Click here to go to online registration form)
Option 2:(Click here to download PDF form)
(Click here to download a sample registration form)
How to submit a Job Start Plus Registration Form
- Complete google form and submit.(You may refer to sample form to help you complete your registration form.)
- Click the link above to download a registration form
- Use the sample form to help you complete your registration form
- Check your form for any errors
- If you downloaded the PDF version and printed, email the completed form to [email protected] or you may also print and drop off a completed form to Job Start Plus, Ministry of Labour, Social Security and Third Sector, 3rd Floor West, Warrens Office Complex, Warrens, St. Michael, Barbados
Prior to placement, you are required to undertake mandatory World of Work (WOW) training over a two-week period, which focuses on the development of core skills needed for the job search and in the workplace.
Topic Areas Covered include:
- Effective Communication
- Conflict Resolution
- Anger Management
- Appropriate Standards of Behaviour and Human Sexuality
- Industrial Relations
- Safety and Health in the Workplace
- Introduction to Career Planning
- Goal Setting and Planning
- Resume Writing
- Interview Techniques
- Mock Interviews
Additional training will also be provided to better prepare you for employment and to make you more competitive in the job market.
Step 1: You will be guided through the career planning process under Job Start Plus. Each participant in the WOW training is provided tools to assess their strengths and skills confidence and subsequently, they are matched to various occupations.
Step 2: You would benefit from individual career planning sessions. A trained counsellor works with you to develop a personal career plan, that details clear actions for achieving your career goals. Your goals may range from pursuing further education and training, to participating in more Job Start Plus training opportunities that will help you to find employment.