Under the Ministry of Labour, the Labour Department is responsible for the maintenance of a stable and harmonious industrial relations climate in the economy. This primarily involves the following:
- Overseeing the conciliation process when there are industrial disputes.
- Conducting routine inspections to enforce labour standards and promote good work place practices.
- Undertaking workplace interventions
- Responding to individual complaints about workplace issues from both employees and employers.
- Managing the process for trade union recognition
- Conducting the relevant training and awareness activities.