In Barbados, an integral component of the OSH system is the National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NACOSH) which facilitates social dialogue on occupational safety and health issues in Barbados.
NACOSH was established in 1983 in accordance with the provisions of the Factories Act, 1982. The Terms of Reference defining NACOSH’s mandate are as follows:
- To make recommendations on matters referred to it by the Minister, submitted to it by interested parties or pursued by the Committee by its own initiative.
- To advise the Minister on programmes in the field of occupational safety, health and hygiene.
- To advise the Minister on policies and procedures in standard setting and in the development and review of regulations and guidelines to be used by the Government.
- To review and make recommendations to the Minister on the introduction of new processes or substances in the workplace.
- To review and make recommendations with regard to the safety, health and welfare arrangements for specific occupational groups and in areas where there are no formal health and safety programmes; or where such programmes are judged to be inadequate.
NACOSH currently consists of the following members:
- Mr. Peter Earle: Chairman
- Mrs. Samantha Nurse-Butler : Deputy Chairman
- The Chief Labour Officer or Nominee
- The Senior Safety and Health Officer, Labour Department
- The Chief Agricultural Officer or Nominee
- Representative of the Barbados Fire Service
- The Director, National Insurance Department or Nominee
- Representative of the Ministry of Health
- Representative of the Environmental Protection Department
- The Director of the Barbados National Standards Institution or Nominee
- Representative of the Congress of Trade Unions and Staff Associations of Barbados
- Representative of the Barbados Small Business Association
- Representative of the Barbados Manufacturers’ Association
- Representative of the Barbados Employers’ Confederation
- Representative of the Barbados Association of Professional Engineers
- The President of the Barbados Association of Medical Practitioners or Nominee
- Representative of the Construction Industry
- Represenatative of Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association
For further information on NACOSH, please contact the Labour Department at 310-1500 or email the department at email@example.com .