The mission of the Ministry of Labour is to assist the Government and its Social Partners in promoting opportunities for the provision of decent and productive work, in conditions of freedom of association, equity, security and human dignity and to provide quality social and economic benefits for Barbadians.
To develop a Barbadian workforce, including persons with disabilities, that is well informed, properly trained and conditioned for the local, regional and extra-regional labour markets; to ensure that there is decent work for all people of working age and to create a climate that allows people to operate to their true potential through an environment of harmonious industrial relations, cordial conciliation and healthy working conditions; to facilitate an environment for fostering the establishment and growth of businesses of all sizes; to ensure that all aspects of child labour are eliminated and to minimize the impact of HIV/AIDS in the workplace and to encourage labour force diversity through the expansion and promotion of technical and vocational education and training.
- To support and encourage the creation of employment of acceptable quality by fostering a climate of harmonious industrial relations;
- To formulate policy and to implement legislation with a view to promoting rights at work and enhancing other employment conditions, relations and opportunities;
- To ensure an adequate supply of trained manpower in occupations in all branches of economic activity in Barbados;
- To explore opportunities for the employment of Barbadians in overseas markets;
- To maintain an efficient and effective labour market and human resource development information system with a view to optimizing the development, allocation and use of the human resource and to keep labour market imbalances to minimum levels.